Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merry Christmas Y’all


So, the Christmas season is upon us, and I for one am pretty excited about it. The thing is though, Christmas isn’t the same as it was when I was a kid, and I’m sure many of y’all would agree.
No longer do I wake up at 5:30 in the morning and jump on my brother’s beds, and watch cartoons until they actually got out of bed hours later. No longer do I hunt through the house trying to find my presents before the big day…usually
J

Once you’ve reached college I’ve found that Christmas is about so many more things….and I shall elaborate on some below because that’s what I do, as my friends say they’re “Wilson Stories”

First Family
You know those cool people that are supposed to love you no matter what. Well when you don’t see them as often they tend to mean a bit more to you (Funny how that works) I know the family relationship that made the biggest difference for me when leaving has been my little sister. We both went off to college this fall at different schools and I’ve taken it a lot harder than I expected to. It’s strange going from spending so much time with someone, sharing a bed sometimes, and a bathroom always, to a complete flip of being forever away from them and having a bathroom to yourself.  So being able to spend time with my sister for longer than a weekend has been a blessing.
 Not to mention eating my mother’s cooking, it’s amazing how good even “just add water pancakes” taste when your mom makes them.

Second Friends
I know that unfortunately for a lot of people they loose contact with those “High School” friends. I can’t lie in the 2½ yrs that I’ve been in college I have in fact lost some of those, but I have grown even closer with some of my best friends from high school and hope to keep those friendships life long. So we all get together and talk about how broke we are and end up trying to find the cheapest possible activity to do together (Movie nights at someone’s parent’s house usually work nicely) But at the end of the night it wasn’t about what we did it was about who we were with. This is true too of Thanksgiving but I think that break is just a tease.

Third Presents
Yep we’ve been old enough for a while to be responsible for those but now it’s really true. Thankfully I am only responsible in my family for the four kids, and a white elephant. But what do you do about those friends that I just mentioned are broke just like you??? This year my amazing friend and I decided to just share the gifts of food and ourselves with each other. So a Christmas potluck takes care of that, and it’s a good time, or should be ;)

So while it may have been real cute if I could have come up with 12, just like the 12 days of Christmas I didn’t. But I do have my own little Christmas poem to share with you…

Finals are over and stress free we are
But let’s be smart and not hit the bars
For Christmas time is Merry you see
And I’d love for you to spend time with me

We’ll frolic and play in the cheapest way
And find ways to brighten our days
When money is tight no presents there will be
But instead great fellowship between you and me

So by plane, train, or car hurry on home
And stop worrying about your student loans
For it’s Christmas time you see
And I’d love for you to spend it with me 

No comments:

Post a Comment